Sunday, March 25, 2012

Food::Saturday Dinner @ New Station

        We planned on having dimsum for dinner tonight at Capital Tea Garden in T. Street, downtown Sacramento.  Good thing I checked their hours online and found out that they are closed on weekends.  I noticed that after our unforgettable experience at Yummy Kitchen, I have been wanting more Chinese food.  Danii has been wanting to try duck again so I found the best place to try tonight.  I've been reading good reviews online about this Chinese restaurant on Broadway, downtown Sacramento called New Station.  They also have fried squab which I've been dying to try all these years.  Pardon the yellowish tinge in the photos.  I forgot to change the white balance in my camera to incandescent, was too eager to take the pics.


Wor Wonton Soup - $7.95
         New Station looks just like one of those hole in the wall eating places but don't let the exterior fool you.

        First of our orders to arrive was the Wor Wonton soup.  When it comes to picking which soup to order, Dylan calls the shots.  I imagine having Wor Wonton for many more Chinese dinners we will be having in the future (sigh).

       

 Their Wor Wonton was the best we had so far in all the Chinese places we tried.  It had shrimp, wonton, roast pork, fish cake, shiitake mushroom and baby bokchoy, baby snow peas for greens which still had a bit of crunch.


Roast Duck (quarter) - $5.50
         Their Roast Duck was excellent.  I asked Danii if she liked the Roast Duck more than Peking Duck and she said she still preferred Peking Duck, Roast Duck comes at a close second.  As usual,  Danii ate most of the duck being one of her favorite poultry dishes nowadays.





Salty Fish Chicken Fried Rice - $7.75




        
        Dinah and I decided to order some fried rice to go along with the other orders.  We tried their Salty Fish Chicken fried rice.  Nothing special with this one, just like the other salted fish/chicken fried rice we tried in the past.










Fried Squab - $11.95
        
        Then, the fried squab arrived.  It looked just the way I expected it to be, with the head still on (including the beak).  At first, Danii and Dylan was hesitant to try it but then Danii made the first move.  I wasn't expecting Danii to like it.  She even ate the crispy skin off the bird's head!  Dylan on the other hand didn't finish his piece so I ate it.  The squab's skin was well seasoned and crispy.  Some of the meat tasted a little gamey for me, like the breast portion which looked more like dark meat rather than white which was strange.  The rest are of the bird was tasty and flavorful.
Combination Seafood in Bird's Nest - $11.75
        Lastly, we had the Combination Seafood on Bird's Nest.  When I saw this item on their menu, I had a good idea of how it's going to look like.  My only disappointment was that there was not enough sauce in the dish to drench the deep fried egg noodles.  In Chinese restaurants in the Philippines, the veggies come with a thick sauce that gets absorbed by the crispy fried noodles making them soft and flavorful.  Nevertheless, we had a very nice dining experience that night at New Station.  I see some other items on their menu that I want to try next time.  We'll be back for sure.  I just hope Dylan will have other soup ideas next time.