Sunday, March 4, 2012

Food::Saturday Dimsum Brunch @ Hoicin

        I was craving for some dim-sum the night before so I Googled for Chinese restaurants in our area other than the usual Rice Express and China House place that we usually go to.  My son suggested Fat's Asia Bistro, which strangely made me think of P.F. Chang's.  We've been to both places before, their food is just too Americanized for me.  Then I found Hoicin.  I also noticed that they have a weekend lunch promo for dim-sum, perfect!

Deep fried squid - $3.00
Wonton noodle soup - $6.00 (1/4 serving - $1.50)
        Their weekend dimsum promo starts from 10am-3pm.  We got there around 2pm.  We were surprised that it was just beside the Vietnamese noodle place that we went to once, long time ago.  The place looks like your typical Chinese place, nothing fancy.  The waitress gave us their menu after we got seated.  I noticed that the promo items were not on the menu she gave us so I asked if they have another menu for the dim-sum weekend lunch promo.  She came back with the menu and we started discussing what to pick.  We ended up ordering each item on the dimsum menu except for the egg rolls.  Dylan also wanted wonton soup which was not on the weekend dim-sum promo list.

        First to arrive on the table was the deep fried squid which was really a good deal for just $3.  Danii and Dylan really enjoyed it.  I quickly turned my Olympus Pen on to start taking pics and guess what?  I forgot to replace the SD card!  I just used my Motorola Cliq's phone camera instead.  The plate was almost clean before the next dish arrived.  Next was Dylan's wonton noodle soup.  The waitress brought us individual bowls and served us.  Nothing special with the noodle soup.  It tastes just like the chicken mami we have back home.

Deep fried diced tofu - $2.00
        Dylan and I loved the deep fried diced tofu.  It was garnished with toasted garlic chips and scallions.
Steamed pork buns - $2.50
        They look like Hongkong style siopao to me, pork asado filling.  These were really good.  I ate 2 of them.
Shrimp Har-Gow - $2.00


        You can never go wrong with these shrimp dumplings.  Just a dip in soy sauce with chili-garlic oil, and that's all she wrote.












Pork Shu Mei - $2.00
        
        
        Their pork siomai was also good.  Didn't get to try more though.  We wanted to order some more but the waitress said it will take some 20 minutes so maybe not.
Sticky rice chicken wraps - $1.50
        
        Danii just tried a little bit of the sticky rice with chicken wrapped in lotus leaves.  Dylan didn't want any so Dinah and I got to finish them.

        



        
        
        
        We were very satisfied with the taste as well as the service.  We also noticed they have Peking duck on the menu so we'll surely be back to have dinner there sometime.