Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Places::Calle Crisologo, Vigan

        It was time to get ready going back to the U.S.  We asked Lee that day if he could accompany us once more to Vigan.  We were planning on buying souvenirs for "pasalubong". 

        After lunch at Max's within the Heritage Village in Vigan, Dinah and I headed to Calle Crisologo to look for stuff we can bring back to the U.S.


         I was looking for some knives that looked like small katana swords.  We sampled each store until we came across "Lucy's Antique Shop".  I was looking at the knives they have outside their store when I heard this lady inside talking to what seemed to be an old acquaintance of hers.  I noticed right away from that distance that the lady looked Chinese but was fluently speaking the Ilocano dialect.  When she stood up, I asked if she was Chinese and she said yes.  I asked her if I can take a picture of her.  She said ok but asked what it was for.  I just told her it was for my blog, which was true, although I did not tell her that I was struck by her looks that I had to take a portrait of her :)  It turned out that she was the owner.  Her name was Lucila "Lucy" Chan Barba and her store, the last remaining antique shop in Calle Crisologo.

        I bought several knives and she gave me a discount.  When we continued going to the other stores, Dinah got Basi, a native alcoholic drink made from molasses.  I also got a pair of "arnis" (fighting sticks) made from Kamagong wood.