Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Food::Lunch @ Indo Cafe

        Yesterday, I took Danii and Dylan to Old Sacramento via the Folsom Light Rail.  It took about an hour to get to Sacramento Valley Station from Folsom.  When we got there it was already 12:30 pm.  Dinah met us at the station and we all walked to Old Sacramento to have lunch at Indo Cafe.  I asked the owner for the "secret menu" and he smiled.  He asked if we were Indonesians, we said we were Filipinos.  I have always wanted to try Laksa for a long time now.  It was a good thing that they have one on their menu and it was of the curry variety.  I got the Laksa, Danii got the Sate Babi and Dylan shared the Chicken Thai Curry with Dinah.

Laksa
          I saw a lot of items on their menu that sounded similar to some Tagalog words, like "kambing", "pangsit", "gulai", "lumpia", "tahu".  The owner asked how I got to know of Laksa.  I told him, I saw it on the web from some foodie's blog.  I asked how come they only have one kind of Laksa.  I mentioned some that I knew of and he said that there were different types of Laksa, Malaysian, Singaporean, etc. and Indonesian Laksa has the curry based broth.

Sate Babi
         I liked the Laksa.  It was different from our own Mami, or from the Vietnamese Pho, or from the Japanese Ramen.  The noodles looked like our pancit bihon (rice vermicelli).  The broth had this rough texture that you can feel with every sip.  I also loved their chili paste.

Chicken Thai Curry